Do You Wear Underwear With Leggings?
Ok, ladies, this one is for you! Time to dive deep into a somewhat shallow but TOTALLY necessary topic. To wear or not to wear underwear with leggings.
Related: SHOP WOMEN’S NO SHOW UNDERWEAR
Leggings are incredibly versatile. Whether you’re going to the gym, looking for another layer under your jeans in winter, or simply lounging at home, cozy sustainable leggings are the ideal choice.
While the wonder of leggings is widely agreed upon, opinions diverge on one central question: are you supposed to wear underwear with leggings?
Our short answer? You should wear your leggings however you want. Whether putting on a new pair of seamless no show undies or going commando, you should consider your chosen activity and legging fabric.
Pairing your undies with your leggings can feel like trying to set up two close friends. You love each of them individually, but would they be a good match together? Or would everything immediately get super awkward and just end up biting you in the butt?
Is It Okay To Go Commando In Tights?
Do you go commando under your leggings or shorts at the gym? If so, you’re not alone. Generally speaking, going commando is fine, but there are a few rules to follow. And it's absolutely safe to not wear underwear when you exercise.
Leggings + Commando = Sometimes
Omitting undies sounds great in theory, but in practice, so much depends upon the specific leggings you’re wearing and where you’re wearing them.
In particular, you may want to think twice before hitting the gym in workout leggings alone.
Why? There are several reasons why leggings alone can sometimes fail you:
- Fabric matters – Prefer natural textiles? Unfortunately, when dampness collects in cotton leggings, bacterial infections can thrive. Luckily, there are some naturally antibacterial options like sustainable bamboo viscose.
- Leggings can get sweaty, too – If you’re planning an intense workout, the problems that arise with sweaty underwear can occur with workout leggings, too. That’s why some activewear leggings are designed with pantyliners to help address dampness. Be sure to choose a moisture-wicking option and launder your workout bottoms as is needed.
- You may need to wash your leggings more often – If you’re trying to reduce your carbon footprint and use fewer resources, you might not wash your leggings with every wear. After all, they may look and smell perfectly fresh if you’ve just been chilling at home! However, underwear should be washed with every use, and the same goes for leggings that are being used as a double-duty undie/legging combo.
Of course, if you’d prefer to wear underwear while you’re working out, you’re not alone!
Leggings + Underwear = All the time
While it may feel comfortable to lounge around in your leggings at home, many people prefer an extra layer of protection when they’re out in the world. Plus, there are some other benefits to wearing underwear with your leggings, whether you’re opting for a no show panties, g-string, bikini, or boxer brief style.
- Comfort while working out – Tight, sweaty underwear can lead to irritation and infection. The same goes for tight, sweaty leggings! Adding an extra layer of moisture-wicking fabric can help keep you comfortable and cool while you meet your fitness goals.
- A reduced need for laundry – While you’ll still need to wash your underwear after every use, you may be able to squeeze an extra day of wear out of your leggings. That means fewer trips to the washing machine, less expenditure on detergent, and a lower water bill. We call that a win-win-win.
And if you do decide to wear underwear with your leggings, that doesn’t mean you have to be uncomfortable or suffer from the dreaded VPL.
Instead, make sure your chosen brand fits the following criteria:
- Made of a naturally moisture-wicking fabric.
- Sewn with seamless technology to reduce discomfort
- Elastic, form-hugging fabric to conform to your unique shape
With the right types of no show underwear, you’ll get that commando feel with all the added benefits of an extra layer.
Check out these celebs wearing different styles with their leggings - each woman has her own style and they are all right! :)
The dilemma of whether or not to wear underwear with leggings is an age-old one. A dilemma probably on par with that philosophical one involving whether or not pineapple belongs on pizza.
Much like the pineapple pizza problem, it all comes down to personal choice. Ultimately, it's whatever you feel most comfortable in. But if you do choose to go commando, make sure your leggings are up to the task. Just remember yeast and bacteria thrive in a warm and moist environment,